Linton Camp (School) under construction in 1939. These photos kindly supplied by Mr Ben McKenzie shows Linton School while under construction in 1939 and almost ready for its first intake of child evacuees. Built by The national Camps Corporation with an original view of being a countryside school for city children, who otherwise may have not had the opportunity, to experience the countryside and nature. With the onset of the second world war in 1939, the school along with other National Camps, was utilized for evacuees. It was thought at the time that children from industrialised towns and cities would be very vulnerable to enemy air raids. Doreen Drewry Lehr was one such girl who was sent here in 1940 when very young. Doreen has written an excellent book with an in depth investigation into the effects that such a forced removal from the family home can have on a person. The book gives some super detail of her time at Linton and is well worth a read. The book is called "A Girls War" and is available on Amazon.
Of interest in the above pictures is the dormitory layout. The far end of the 'dorms' had long verandahs open to the elements, and the dorm was one long open room with bunk beds at the sides. This was changed in the early 1960's. The verandas were closed in, the dorm was split into 4 separate bedrooms each housing about a dozen or so beds, not bunk beds by now, and an extension running along the west side housing a linen room, toilets, and a full length side corridor. The class rooms were originally the two centre 'dorms', and the set were named dorm1 thru to dorm 6. During the remodeling, dorm 1 and 2, were rebuilt into class blocks and joined together with an off centre stairwell. The lower block, nearest the assembly hall, housed the domestic science room and the woodwork/metalwork workshop, in addition to accommodation at the south end where in my time Mr & Mrs Robson lived. The other block housed the large art/science room and 2 classrooms, again with a flat at the end (seen in these pictures)